The Bag Lady Mission
The Bag Lady Mission is to operate a WILDLY successful retail business that:
- Celebrates, nurtures and affirms all regardless of age, size, sex, shape, color, astrological sign, or economic status.
- Welcomes all people of any sexual, religious or political preferences.
- Is operated mindfully, in a spirit of honesty, creativity, compassion, fairness, flexibility, & fun!
- Conducts business in an environmentally & socially responsible manner.
- Matronizes vendors who are woman owned and/or operated.
- Maintains a strong commitment to giving back to the community.
- Supports local art, work, causes, and organizations.
- Serves as a connecting point and supportive exchange for the Charlotte area.
- Makes a good & fair profit (so we can keep doing what we're doing and keep getting better at it.)
- Aggressively promotes hilarity, serendipity, random enchantment & unmitigated bodaciousness!
Why are we called The Bag Lady?
Customers ask this frequently. Why name a business after an image long associated with women's dysfunction, powerlessness & poverty? In our context, "Bag Lady" is redefined & reclaimed as a strong resourceful woman who travels lightly & carries with her what she needs: her favorite books, her power objects, things to beautify her surroundings, or make her feel pampered. She is a woman who is not afraid to take risks, who stands her ground, who relies on her inner strengths (intuition, intention, wit, creativity, & compassion) to travel within herself and out in the world. She is a maiden, a mother, a crone. She is a WILD WOMAN. (And no, we are not a handbag store, thank you very much.)